Woo!

I was super nervous to cut into the linen for my dresses, but I made myself do it today. I had Sam fit a kirtle to my body following the instructions for a straight front seam supportive kirtle on La Cotte Simple and while I had to do some final fit adjustments myself (Sam has very little craft skills so I was left instructing her the whole time) I think it turned out great!

Since faire in less than 2 weeks away now and there’s still so much to do, my goal for today was to get the main seams done on my dresses so all that’s left is hand sewing the hems and eyelets. And I managed to get that done!

Both dresses are made from 100% linen and follow the exact same pattern. Since the under dress is going to have the most stress, being the one doing most of the actual supporting, I lined the entire top portion with cotton for more strength. The gores are unlined.

The outer dress don’t be under so much direct strain so I only added the cotton lining to the front edges where the eyelets will be. Obviously the green dress will lace on the sides and the red on the front. Its hard to get a complete idea of how they will look since there’s no support right now, but I think it will be just how I wanted it.

I plan on adding short sleeves to the outer dress but I think I might keep that a last priority focus since I still need to draft them and I want to make sure to get everything else done. They might not happen for opening weekend but I know they’ll happen eventually.

The skirts of the dresses are so full its awesome. I have some trim I want to make to go on the outer dress to tie in the yellow of the steuchlein but that’s another thing I’m not sure I’ll have done in time for opening weekend. I have the pattern picked, just need to figure out the color order, warp and weave.

Tomorrow I start the eyelets and hemming, and then I can move on to the accessories. Bodice, leather bag and pouch belt. This will be a close finish!

So close

Kash’s garb is nearly finished. I am almost done with the machine sewing on his doublet and then its just lots of hand sewing.

I marked out the slashes the other day and pinned the trim on to make sure I liked it.

And while I was hoping to get the machine sewing done tonight, my day was more hectic than I intended for my day off so while I managed to get most of it done, its not where I wanted it to be.

Photo on 8-4-16 at 11.29 PM

Forgive the crappy laptop picture, my phone decided to completely break today so I’m without it until tomorrow when the replacement arrives.

Just need to make and add the peplum, sew down seams, sew on the trim, make 12 eyelets and add buttons. The slashes look a little wonky right now but I’ll be playing with them when I sew the trim which will hopefully help.

Have 2 days to finish this to stay on my deadline, and since I have Sunday and Monday off I’m hoping to get a good head start on my dresses. Only 15 days until faire!